New Orleans > Outline
- March 2 - April 2, 2008 - Planning Period
- March 2 - March 25, 2008 - Proposals of projects from
- March 17-April 2, 2008, - Ongoing Charrette
- March 31 - April 2, 2008 - Live Charrette in New Orleans
- April 3- April 18, 2008 - BIMStorm New Orleans
- April 18, 2008 - Webinar Presentation of New Orleans
GIS Data in Google Earth Format is available to Players
Post Katrina, New Orleans has been
faced with a massive rebuilding effort. As part of this many ideas and
initiatives have been ongoing. This will not necessarily be a "final
solution" to what should be done, but will be a venue to explore the
potential impact of what can be done. BIMStorm the BIG Easy Way is a
one month effort culminating at the Fiatech Conference to
collaboratively stitch together the ideas and initiatives that may be
ongoing and to provide the city and citizens of New Orleans a way to
visualize the change and opportunities "The BIG Easy Way."
Join us to:
- Create planning scenarios that would be useful to city New
Orleans and the public.
- Raise awareness of challenges facing New Orleans and
- Document existing projects that are being planned, to be
to get a clearer picture of what is being planned.
- Show planned projects to improve the city
- Simulate various scenarios to look for opportunities and
- Provide a venue during Fiatech to design in real time,
- Provide the New Orleans with a tool during the Fiatech
Conference to be able to engage stakeholders in decision making
- Support Emergency Planning by simulating existing and
- Identify ongoing projects and locate them on Google Map
- Raise awareness of open standards exchanges
- Support sustainable design and emergency preparedness.
Design, Construction and Renovation
- Teams will be designing schools, hospitals, housing and
- Real time live workshop at the Fiatech conference and
through the internet.
- The projects will also provide live data for cost
estimating, energy use, and capabilities for emergency planning.
Emergency Planning / Response / Shelter Planning
As with any other metropolitan area, New Orleans needs to be able to
respond to emergencies. Live scenario planning workshops will be held
at the Fiatech conference as part of the BIMStorm. Join us to simulate
how integrated tools can support both the planning and design of
facilities and a city and at the same time the same data can support
emergency planning. This will be a demonstration of what is possible
today when facility data is linked to geospatial data in a way that
allows access to many levels of users.
- Fire stations will be located based on evolving needs of
- Emergency shelters will be planning in existing and new
- Scenarios will be run to simulate capabilities of the
- Participants are welcome to interactively work with the
BIMStorm teams that will be at the Fiatech conference and through the
- Green and sustainable design strategies will be
- Energy use calculations and simulations.
- Collaboration with teams worldwide to bring expert
into the process without requiring everyone to fly to one location and
- Green Roofs
- Solar Energy
- Virtual viewing via web site and online meetings. Anyone
can observe, and learn.
- Developers, owners and agencies are invited to submit
their projects to be designed for free.
- A rapid design process demonstrating real-time
- Generating various scheme ideas.
- Owners submit project program requirements in Excel here.
- Submit projects in a simple format. This can be a
of the overall size of the project, such as a 150,000 sf office
building, or a more detailed programmatic requirement in Excel format
(these can be actual projects or studies of potential projects).
- Submissions due: March 27, 2008 to be considered as part
of the BIMstorm™
- Request access here first.
- Participate from office, home or anywhere there is
- Create a BIMstorm Team and work on a project on the
- Architects, urban planner, schools of architecture, cities
and agencies, and the business community are invited to engage in the
- A group of pre-qualified BIM capable teams will work in
real-time to plan the various sites identified in the BIMstorm.
- BIM players will be distributed around the world,
collaborating in real-time via the internet.
- We are looking for proposals from multi-disciplinary teams
that will extend the benefits we saw in the Los Angeles BIMStorm of
rapid collaboration. In LA it was focused on 24 hours. Since New
Orleans is a month long, we feel that there are opportunities for
demonstrating how teams can collaborate and adjust their design
direction based on input from other teams. For example:
- Team A starts early design of a project and passes it
to Team B
for Lifecyle Operations and Maintenance analysis, Team C for Structural
Design, Team D for HVAC, Team E for Energy. The input from these other
teams to team A would then be reviewed by Team A and the design
adjusted, the other teams would then be able to see the new design and
adjust their reports based on it.
- For the New Orleans BIMStorm we are looking for proposals
from teams on specific projects and scenarios. We want you to suggest
projects either in progress or new, that your team would like to work
on. We encourage participation with local agencies or groups in New
- There will also be projects that are posted on this site
- Some resources for project information in New Orleans.
- Other suggestions welcome